Moving Out

A. Ending your tenancy

You must let us know, in writing, at least 4 weeks before the date you want to end your tenancy. We will respond to confirm receipt of the notice and let you know the next steps. The tenancy will usually end on a Sunday. You must remove all your furniture, flooring, personal possessions and any rubbish before you leave. Do not forget your loft!
We will normally charge you for the removal of any items left in the property. Leicester City Council offer a bulky item collection service that may be useful at this time: waste/bulky-item-collections/

If you have removed any of our fixtures and fittings you must put them back, unless we agreed that this was not necessary when you got permission to do the work. If you do not put things back the way they were we will charge you for the cost of doing it ourselves, and also for any fixtures and fittings you have damaged.

You are still responsible for any debt that is owed to us. If you do not make an arrangement with us to repay it we will go to court to force you to pay us. We may also use debt collection agents. To set up an arrangement to repay any debt you need to let us know, in writing, at least 4 weeks before you leave. You must also let us into the home to assess what repairs need doing, and to let new tenants look around. We will give you a reasonable amount of notice.

You must return keys to our Registered Office by 12 noon on the Monday after your tenancy ends. If you do not you may have to pay rent for the next week and for any lock change.

B. Exchanging

If you want to move to another Ross Walk Co-op property you will need to apply to go on our housing register. Ask at the office for an application form. We will assess your need for new housing. If your application is accepted, you will be put on the register. Not everyone on the register will be able to get a new home because the number of properties available for re-letting is often very low. Also, there are restrictions on who can move into certain properties. When a suitable property is available, we will check that the information in your application is still correct and we will carry out a rent check to ensure that you have no payments outstanding. We will visit your home to assess its condition and identify any repairs that you need to do before you move.

You might also consider swapping homes with another tenant. For urgent employment, medical or family reasons you can contact us or the relevant Council’s Housing Department forfurther information. Otherwise you should put your name on the waiting list of local councils or housing associations in the area you want to move to. We can help you find out who to contact.

You can also try to find a tenant to exchange with through a national scheme called HomeSwapper, This is when two or more tenants exchange homes. To do this we have to give permission which will involve us inspecting your home and telling you what repairs you must carry out first. When you exchange, both tenants must accept the other property in the condition it is left. The new tenant takes responsibility for any damage or alterations made by the previous tenant. If you exchange without permission you can be forced to move back. It is illegal to pay anyone in order to persuade them to exchange tenancies with you. If an exchange happens on this basis, all the people involved could be made to leave their homes.

C. Moving out

Before handing in the keys, please make sure that:

  • you have paid any rent or charges you owe us
  • the property is clean and tidy
  • you have wiped down all worktops, sills, kitchen units and floor tiles
  • all your furniture, carpets and belongings have been removed, including from sheds and lofts, and no rubbish is left in the house or garden
  • you have done any repairs or redecoration that are your responsibility
  • • you have contacted the gas, electricity, water and phone companies to finalise your accounts
  • you have told the Council Tax section you are moving, and if you claim Housing Benefit, you have told the Department for Work and Pensions
  • you have arranged for a Gas Safe registered gas installer to disconnect any gas appliances you are moving
  • you have arranged for your post to be redirected.

D. Moving In

The start date of your tenancy is shown on the tenancy agreement we ask you to sign. From that date on you are responsible for the property and for paying rent. You must make sure that any housing-related benefits, if you qualify, is paid for your new home. If you do not move in immediately you must still pay the rent. When you take up your tenancy, you will sign a Tenancy Agreement and we will tell you about:

  • the start date and your tenancy conditions
  • the services we provide
  • how to pay your rent
  • how to report a repair

We will also tell you about how to download and use the MyPA app (see section 5)

and organise for our contractor to ensure services such and gas and electricity can
be used and paid for by you. We will give you:

  • a copy of the Tenancy Agreement
  • various useful advice leaflets covering a range of topics including gas servicing, repairs, being a good neighbour, joining the management committee and useful numbers. These are also available on your Co-op’s website.
  • information about benefits. We can sometimes help you with any application forms you need to complete
  • all sets of keys we have. We do not hold spares. You are responsible for getting further sets, and getting into your home if you get locked out or lose your key.
  • an up-to-date inspection record for any gas installations provided by us in your home
  • details about the Co-op and a list of Management Committee meeting dates.